Wednesday 3 October 2007

Lazy Teaching Leads to Lazy Blogging?

I wrote once that I try to avoid blogs that are simply diaries. However, something triggered off some memories of Junior school and it brought other memories to the surface, so thought I'd add one last one...can it be considered a diary even if it happened 30 years ago?

It relates back to Junior school again (where we had the dancing lessons). How about this for a school holiday assignment:

"Construct as many words as possible from the word, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

Two rules:

  1. There must be more than 2 letters in each word,
  2. Don't use a dictionary.
What a crappy, waste of time to ask kids to work on this during their holidays. I don't think that test would make it onto the National Curriculum today.

To cap it all, I only came second with 800 words. Darren came an easy first with 1200, but I maintain to this day that he got help from his parents...

The 3rd placed kid came in at about 50: evidently the other class members were less competitive and preferred to play, use their imagination and just be kids as you are supposed to be at that age.

6 comments:

Polgara said...

Isnt your blog just a diary written a little later.....

ArcticFox said...

Bloody hell, that really is a piss poor challenge!!

It sounds more like a detention excercise!! I remember having to draw a dot in the centre of each square of a page of 1mm graph paper with a pencil, so you couldn't dab it like with a felt tip pen.

Teachers!! Love some.... hate some.... Not sure that some of them really grasp the lasting impact that they can have on people!!

FoX

Christo said...

Today that game is called "scrabble" :-)

solla said...

Regarding the diary written later: yes, you are right - maybe I'm just catching up.

Once I realise that there is nothing new to offer, I will stop.

Polgara said...

Don't stop!
Nothing we write is new to us, only to others :)

solla said...

No plans to stop just yet. I'm enjoying writing it too much. Thanks for reading by the way!