Thursday 2 August 2007

Mon Père, Ce Héros

So yeah, I've already said loads of times that we just moved house. I've also said that I've been doing some painting and catching up on some dodgy old music. I also did a lot of thinking. One of my recurring thoughts was that "painting and decorating is extremely dull".

I also thought about a comment I made recently on another website. This guy had a full blown argument with his father over a trivial matter. My response was that the real reason for the argument may have deeper roots; all very "Marjorie Proops". I also said that, in general, my conversations with my father didn't get past the fortunes of Manchester City (which are never good) and the weather (not very often good either).

Bear with me, there's a link coming here...

My dad was a painter and decorator for 45 years. 40 of which he spent painting hospital walls! I can't imagine how that can have been. I cannot face any more after 3 days. How could he stand it? Do you know what: I've never even asked him. It's so obvious that he hated his work and couldn't wait to retire. Even more, 1 month after retiring - 1 month - he is diagnosed with prostate cancer.

To summarise: My dad left school at 14, got a job as an apprentice painter, was bullied so much that I can tell it still hurts and left him painfully shy, then painted hospital walls for 40 years, before retiring and being told he had cancer 1 month later.

Through all that time, he never seemed outwardly depressed and was the model father - school plays, football matches, he was there for the rest of his family. But what did I do to thank him? Sod all.
Worse, I "grow up" and buy a house and what's the first thing I say on the phone (after the opening gambits of Manchester City and weather): "Can you come around this weekend and wallpaper the living room..?". I am even now fighting the urge to ask him to do a spot of painting when he comes over to see us in September.

He deserves better, much better - I've got to find a way to pay him back - maybe a Manchester City scarf or one of those flashy weather stations?

Or maybe one day I'll tell him he's my hero...

No comments: