Tuesday 31 July 2007

Long live King Elvis!

One of the good things about moving house is that you discover things you'd forgotten about (photo albums, dodgy shirts etc.). One of the bad things about moving house is that you invariably end up decorating it. However, why not combine the good, the bad (and the ugly (me)?) to relieve the boredom? I came across my CD collection that I haven't been listening to for a while since I got an iPod (thanks John ). My first choice was obvious...

I remember a drunken conversation circa 1994 when we had to choose the CD we would take for "company" on a deserted island. Compilations (and CD players with unlimited battery life) were obviously allowed, so my choice was "The Man: The Best of Elvis Costello" - crap title, great album. I listened to it last night and remembered every word. My favourite line, "They call her Natasha, but she looks like Elsie// I don't want to go to Chelsea". I still manage to feel slightly uneasy singing along to "Oliver's Army" but can't help it. I don't have an ex-girlfriend called Alison, but if I did, lost her and had an inkling of talent, I would write this song.

Elvis Presley is Dead, Costello is apparently soldiering on, and I'd prefer the latter any day.

Now I just need to rig up my record player (it's a machine with a, get this, "needle" that runs along grooves in a circular piece of vinyl and music comes out!). Once that 's done, the next compilation will be "Squeeze, 45s and Under"..."Up the Junction" anyone?

No comments: