Thursday 16 August 2007

The Bryan Robson Experience

Have you ever had an MRI? I had one today; it was part my why-am-I-having-epileptic-seizures-all-the-time saga? See my older posts for more details.

I should explain that I have had lots of MRI scans in the past (in a previous professional incarnation I studied MRI images of people's knees in order to try to calculate whether their arthritis treatment was working or not).

As I already said, my epilepsy first showed itself in around 1994 when I working with the radiologists looking at the said pictures of knees. It seems crazy now, but it wasn't taken too seriously at the time and I had a colleague take an image of my brain with the result "yeah, no tumour there". Fast, professional and re-assuring.

Times and locations have moved on; today, I felt small, weak and frankly, a bit scared. The French medical system is notoriously protracted, and it was only after a visit to a GP, who referred me to a neurologist (for medication), who referred me to a neurologist (for an EEG) who referred me to another neurologist (for the MRI), that I finally arrived at the clinic.

An MRI is not dangerous in itself. It's very ingenious in fact, but that's for you to find out- if you are ever given the choice between an X-ray and an MRI - take the MRI. If you are claustrophobic, are sensitive to loud noise or have a nervous tic, keep away unless absolutely necessary.

After having a drip inserted in your arm, your head is clamped, headphones placed (obviously) on your head, a panic button placed in one hand and you are slid into the machine. With suitably funereal music, you could almost imagine being sent into the fires for your own cremation. Unfortunately, I was not treated to funereal music - I had "An Englishman in New York" by Sting. Why, I don't know, but there you go.

I once watched a friend playing Counterstrike, a ridiculously violent shoot-em-up game. The sounds from that game reminded me of what I heard for 15 minutes. Repetitive banging with tonal changes for interest (all of course with Sting crooning in the background - although I don't remember songs about Quentin Crisp featuring in Counterstrike).

Anyway, the good news is that I don't have a tumour (God, I hadn't even considered that before the neurologist informed me) and I don't have any dead bits of brain (apart from the bits that I killed this evening with a very nice 2006 Chardonnay.

So now it's back to the old routine of trying different combinations of medicines that might reduce the seizure rate to around 1 per 3 months (according to neurologist 2). I guess I should be relieved by all that, but I feel a little shaken up by it all really.

A little aside:

The funniest thing about all this epilepsy stuff is that I am pretty sure I remember when it was triggered. I was playing for Writtle FC (oh yes, those heady days of amateur football in the Chelmsford area). We had a corner, I was positioned just outside the box and said to myself (wait for it), if this gets flicked on at the near post, I'm gonna make a late run "just like Bryan Robson" and head it in. Sure enough, near post. Sure enough, not quite as good a player as Bryan, a head butt to the side of the head and a somersault that left most people thinking I had broken my neck rather than induced epilepsy. So you see, every cloud has a silver lining - I am not Bryan Robson!

No comments: