Tuesday 18 December 2007

Dig Hard, Dig Deep (Scoops 2, 3 and 4)

Like my teeth, the follow-up to Scoop 1 has been difficult to get out. However, for your delectation, here, finally, is the sequel.

As I said previously, I was kindly invited back for further investigations, having gone away from the first visit with a temporary filling, which "would hurt, but in a different way", designed to disinfect the site ready for the real work to start. With the filling removed, scoop 2 began. Very kindly, the dentist decided to use anaesthetic for this one. However, he seemed to inject it everywhere in my mouth apart from the dig-site. For several days afterwards my gums were scarred and I am pretty sure they were burnt by this anaesthetic.

During this investigation, he decided that the nerves were beyond repair and that it would need "at least" 3 more sessions in order to deaden them. "After that, we'll talk about your wisdom teeth". "I've put in another temporary filling - I can't understand why the first one didn't work".

However, he very kindly filled the second tooth for me in the meantime. It was only the day after that I realised the filling was not at all adapted to the shape of my mouth and that, when I closed my mouth on one side, on the other side the teeth were not closing - I looked like Popeye; all I needed was a pipe to hang out of this side (and infeasibly large muscles in my arms) and the effect would be complete. Unlike the cartoon violence meted out by Popeye, this situation led to extreme headaches because the muscles on one side of my face were constantly tensed while those on the other side hung loose . Not pleasant.

"OK, let's give this one a chance to work - come back next week and we'll carry on".

Now, I may be a coward, but I knew full well that it would be folly to keep coming - of course, I was never going to tell him to his face. Oh no, run away and hope he doesn't notice. So, it was with a feeling of guilt that I rang him just before the 3rd appointment and told him that I had been delayed overnight on a customer site and would call him when I got back. I then called the dentist where we used to live and who is treating my son. The thing is, they are very popular, so it was another 10-day wait for an appointment, and only then because they gave me preferential treatment - they have already taken 700€ from us for his brace, with the certainty that his story is not finished and my other son will soon need the same treatment. Mouths - who needs them? The phrase "put your money where your mouth is" never rung truer.

Anyway, onto scoop 3...

Entering the surgery here literally made my jaw drop (but, for obvious reasons, only on one side). Everything was clean, new and white. The dentist had an assistant who held the apparatus for him - I didn't have to do it myself! I didn't have to expectorate (great word) from a paper cup into a dry-spit-covered off-white basin - they had a machine to do this too. I had couched the visit as needing a "second opinion" on the original work. The dentist was very diplomatic, but could only express disbelief at the fact that the filling was convex, thus preventing my mouth from closing properly. He had a tiny X-ray machine. A click of the button, a swivel of the head and he could see the results immediately on his iMac screen. These results showed that there was no obvious nerve damage and that a simple filling would suffice. "I will fill it with a white composite" he said, quickly correcting himself, "Well, not white, but matching the colour of the surrounding teeth". Gggrrrr.

So this time he corrected the damage from the filling from scoop 2, gave me another (well-fitting) temporary filling and asked me to wait another week to make sure that there was really no nerve damage before coming back to have the other filling. "And then we can talk about your wisdom teeth..." was the now familiar parting line.

Scoop 4 is a happier tale. I arrive and am led to their X-ray room where they take a full mouth X-ray with a lovely new machine that swivels around your head, takes 2 seconds and flashes the results up immediately on the computer screen. A quick filling and the bill is presented - 64€ for 2 sessions which included 3 X-rays and 2 fillings, all of which is reimbursed by the dramatically over-stretched health service. Funnily enough, I still haven't received any word from the original dentist. My guess is that it will come to more than 64€ though.


Anyway, to finish, a few words on my wisdom teeth. It turns out that, like a drunk driver in a crowded shopping street, they have veered uncontrollably to the right, crashing through the crowd of orderly normal teeth, causing them to scatter in panic. This has had the effect of squashing them together so that the poor tooth in the middle has been isolated. Imagine a police line-up: the victim selects the suspect and he is asked to step forward while the others take a step backwards- that is what my poor centre tooth on the bottom must be going through right now. Unfortunately, the wisdom teeth have defended themselves by wrapping themselves around nerves. "We can take them out, but if we make a mistake you will end up spending the rest of your life with no feeling on one side of your face...". I think I'll put that decision off until after Christmas.

Unfortunately, the story itself, like the blood from my gums, will run and run, but, from now on, I will spare you from the gory details.

5 comments:

Pixie said...

I wish I could send you a picture of my face which was contorted beyond belief whilst reading your tale.

Now there must be a moral to all this or shall we blame your Mother. Did she not take calcium tablets whilst pregnant with baby Sogger, or did baby Sogger eat too many curly wurlies?

It was, however, worth the wait.

Have a very merry Christmas (or is it Christmas Eve that is celebrated in France) - whatever - enjoy.

Still think you should come home to a nice NHS Dentist.

Pix

solla said...

You don't know how happy it makes me to know that something I have written caused a reaction of any kind. I must be very insecure!

I blame the excellent French patisserie for my problems. However, it was just bad luck that the first dentist I came across was a b*****d.

solla said...

...and have a great Christmas yourself.

I shall be sticking to the English tradition of having it on the 25th. My Christmas Puddings are already in the post...

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas - glad we managed to extract the rest of the story from you in the end, kind of you to fill us in!

On a more serious note - should you complain about dentist #1 to some kind of professional body? It's clear he's not up to it and he shouldn't get the chance to mal-practise on anyone else.

solla said...

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about whether I should take some action. My strategy until now has been to wait until he sends me a bill and then follow up, but I suspect I might never hear from him again...I will keep you posted.