Wednesday 27 June 2007

Why France?

It's 2001 and we live in Skipton. Before that, we lived in Ramsbottom and had the time of our lives with great friends and our own little house - our first. The situation is that my company moved to Skipton, I lost my driving licence because of my epilepsy (see later) and we have just had a second baby so our little house was just a little too little. Commuting is out of the question (unless I fancy a 60 mile walk each day).

I liked Skipton: I earned a decent wage and was in the ideal location for mountain-biking. However, the startup company I joined at its conception was bought by an American company and was turning into a "proper" company (selling things for God's sake!) - the buzz wasn't the same, I had a new-found confidence in my professional abilities and was ready for a new challenge.

My wife saw it differently: people were unfriendly - it was difficult to make lasting friends (a problem that is not inherently part of her personality); one of our kids had some "relationship difficulties" with other children (...maybe that accounted for the lack of friends...); it rained a lot and she had difficulties accepting that sometimes you need to turn on the central-heating in mid-summer (can't think why).

Basically we were ready for a change. Given that my wife had stuck out 12 years in England, France seemed a decent choice. It overcame the climate problem at least.

In May 2002, a lorry pulled up, all our things were packed into a container and disappeared to a lockup somewhere in Sheffield for the next 2 months. We sold our car to a colleague's wife on a pub car-park and drove our hire car to Stansted airport before flying to Dijon to move into my father-in-law's house.

No comments: